10 Summer Activities with Baby
Summer is a fan favorite in the Horn house. We LOVE being outside and try to utilize the short summer window as much as possible. I’m including some of out favorites from this past summer, which is our first full summer with little man. Some of the activities are indoor and some outdoor. Its nice to have indoor options incase its 110 degrees out because I don’t want the baby to melt. Get it? He’ll melt because he’s so sweet! #momjoke #nailedit
With fall right around the corner a lot of these activities are still great options, of course with added in trips to the pumpkin patch.
Below is a small glimpse of Grey checking out all that Chicago has to offer. Either indoor or outdoor activities this little guy had a great but busy summer so far. We LOVE fall but part of me is not ready for these gorgeous summer days to end. I hope you enjoying checking out some of our go to spots =)
- Lincoln Park Zoo- We LOVE the zoo. Its the perfect mix of indoor and outdoor. The most expensive part of this little trip would be parking. That is IF its even available. We usually park at our boat dock and walk over. Entrance to the zoo itself is free so it balances out.
- Every Wednesday the Whole Foods on Kingsbury has a musical concert with a performer from Bubbles Academy. The concert is free and a great excuse to kill time indoors with the kiddos while getting some grocery shopping done also. Win Win!
- Swimming. We started introducing Grey to the water ASAP. Our hope is he will be comfortable in the water and also learn water safety at a young age. We have a pool at our house but there are a handful of great facilities in the area, such as the goldfish swim school, were friends of mine have taken their children.
- Lurie Garden in Millennium Park is always a beautiful option. The park is free to explore and offers a relaxing urban oasis in the heart of the city.
- Prenatal fit is a gym specifically for pregnant and post mamas. All of the classes are pregnancy safe and really got me through some uncomfortable days. Once baby arrives the gym still offers a ton of mommy and me classes and/or has an onsite sitter for a VERY reasonable rate. Some of our favorites are mommy and me yoga, Zumba (I use to weigh Grey was he was little), and my personal go to is the Wednesday morning cardio class. They also do a mommy and me bootcamp that takes place outdoors in the summer.
- The Maggie Daley Park is filled with enough outdoor fun activities you can make a whole day of it! There is a large ‘play garden’ areas for the kiddos to explore and get some energy out, mini golf, skating rink, climbing wall, gardens, tennis courts and an area for rollerblade and scooter rentals. If you pack a lunch you can head to the picnic groves and have lunch after a full morning of playing and exploring all while enjoying gorgeous city views.
- Walking. As silly as this seems I was never a ‘walker’ until we had the baby. Now, Michael and I love to explore our neighborhood and our city in the evenings once it cools down a little. The city is FULL of parks, gorgeous views and walkways. We live in Lincoln Park so OZ Park is one of our favorites. We also love, walking the lakefront, the Riverwalk over by moms house in the loop and the 606. All are stroller friendly =) I will say, the riverwalk has come ALONG way. It is full of restaurants, new paths, gorgeous views all while strolling right next to the river.
- Splash Pad parks are another favorite. Greyson loves anything water related, little fish, so Adams park is the perfect place where he can use the play aera and then crawl around on the splash pad to cool down on those hot summer days.
- Garfield Park Conservatory is another great family option that offers free admission. The conservatory is open late on Wednesday’s for any families that want to wait for mom or dad to get home from work and all go together! They have indoor gardens, outdoor gardens and even a children’s garden.
- One of my favorite things to do with Greyson is to try out all the amazing classes at all the different facilities around the city. There is kidville, bubbles and even my gym that we immediately loved. However, purchasing class passes for each place was adding up financially. Then, other moms recommended the Parachute Pass and this has been a life saver. We are able to go to all of our favorite classes and only pay one membership fee. Prenatal Fit and swim classes are even included with this. The options are great for those days that are either rainy or just too hot.
Hope you and your littles are able to check some of our favorite places out! We are definitely excited for fall to get here… bring on the pumping patches. 🎃